Sunday, December 11, 2022

Day 8: The hiking is over

Day 08: From Kempten to Munich

DateDec 10th, 2022
Total This Camino:114 miles
Total 2022 Caminos:438 miles
Total All Caminos:1734 miles
Lodging:Hotel Royal @ $75
Total Lodging:$ 525
Planes:$810 Rochester -> Munich -> Rochester
+ $75 checked bag
$680 Munich -> Rochester
Total Planes:$ 1550
Buses / Trains / Taxis:$25 Train to Munich
Total Buses / Trains / Taxis:$40
Food:$27
Total Food:$ 200

Meaningful Moment

Talked with Deb last night. She observed that my days of hiking alone may be coming to an end, because I just don't get the satisfaction out of them that I used to. 
It could be that I got spoiled this year, hiking with Deb through Spain and hiking with Carlos and Adriana through Ireland.
There is one other possibility: cuz I wonder if I'm getting too old for this.

***

As the train to Munich moves through the German countryside, I'm feeling more and more at peace with my decisions. It's absolutely beautiful out there as we roll through forests and farms and past rural houses.

I had the opportunity to explore this beautiful place of Bavaria.

Random Thought  of the Day

It's snowing in Kempten. Had I decided to try to hike today, I would have been in the mountains with light snow and potentially limited visibility. I checked the terrain profile last night, and it indicated numerous hazardous short sections. 
Given the weather, glad I'm not hiking today.

***

When I got into the hotel room, I had to turn every light in the place on because it has been so damned gray for so long here.

***

Snowed all day in Munich.

***

Went out in the afternoon to visit some of the big sites of the city, just like I did when I arrived. Made it back to the church where I started. It's always a weird feeling to be standing in front of the start point again, after it's all wrapped up.
Walking through the open air food courts, I got myself a bratwurst sandwich which was good.
After a couple hours, I stopped in a Starbucks for a latte.

And the late evening I went out again, this time to the main train station which is absolutely huge. It has something like 30 tracks for trains, eight tracks for their street train system and six tracks for the subway system. Anyway it's like a big mall wrapped all around this transportation.
Ordered another bratwurst, and I swear this one was nothing but a hot dog. lol

Bought a New York Times. I don't normally read that newspaper, but tonight I'm going to catch up on the world.

On the evening outing, I had a chance to see a little bit of the hidden side. In three different instances, somebody who was either quite clearly drunk or quite clearly not sentient, was essentially left being looked at by all the passers by.

I found it a little odd, because depending on the circumstances, back in the States, I would intervene by asking if they needed help. Not always of course.

It does have to be judged by the situation in my personal safety, but I wonder how much of this is something of the human condition, and how much is something more unique to the people of Munich.

Anyway if all you ever see is the pretty side, then you don't see the entire picture. This statement would be true for visitors to the United States also.

On the Road / Notable memories

My first experience with the German train system. Couldn't find an English button on the ticket machine. But a nice young man help me sort through the process.
Rome2Rio seem to indicate that it was a direct trip, but according to the man, I have to change trains at an intermediate station. I would have missed that completely.

***

I booked my tour to the site of the Dachau concentration camp tomorrow. 

I don't know why I'm nervous, but I think I'm afraid of how it might be so disturbing. I'm sure that by the time the tour is over, I will have seen unforgettable things. 

But I find it important, that I experience something of this history, even though I will  be nothing but a spectator as opposed to someone who lived through it. 

In my life I have had Jewish friends but have not understood what it means to be Jewish. I hope to glean a little bit from this trip tomorrow.

In addition my father fought in France and Germany and World War II. I'd like to thank his efforts helped put an end to this barbarous story. 

I need more exploration of this history.




Interesting church in Kempten. The style was so much more modern that I seen here in most of my travels.


St Mang church in Kempten



On the train back to Munich




Bavarian State Parliament House


Bratwirst


Huge huge street market pedestrian mall


Frauenkirche:
The most famous church in Munich, the Cathedral Church of our Lady


One of many many stands in the Marienplatz


Neue Rathaus: City Hall









No comments:

Post a Comment

Back Home Wrap up

Slowly Returning to the Regular Life Date Dec 19th, 2022 Total This Camino: 114 miles Total 2022 Caminos: 438 miles Total All Caminos: 1734...