Saturday, December 10, 2022

Day 07: Trials and Tribulations

Day 07: From Marktoberdorf to Kempten

DateDec 9th, 2022
Route map
Route trace
Today's distance:20 miles
Total This Camino:114 miles
Total 2022 Caminos:438 miles
Total All Caminos:1734 miles
Lodging: Airbnb @ $40
Total Lodging:$ 450
Planes:$810 Rochester -> Munich -> Rochester
+ $75 checked bag
Total Planes:$ 885
Buses / Trains / Taxis:
Total Buses / Trains / Taxis:$15
Food:
Total Food:$ 173

Meaningful Moment

I'm homesick.

That did not influence my decision to end hiking. However these factors did:
  • The weather over the next 48 hrs forecasts snow. On Mt Hoherreissen I foresaw issues if I started sliding from a fall. It had ice and snow on it.
  • The next stage is 18 miles with a combined 3000 ft of elevation change. The profile chart showed multiple problem areas.
  • The second to last stage is even worse.
  • I found a great price for a one way plane ticket from Munich on Tuesday. To see more of Munich, I would need to head back tomorrow.
After considering all these factors, ... I am done. 
A contributing factor was that I have seen enough farmland and forests. Ha-ha.

Random Thought of the Day

Today was 20 mi and I kind of knew it. But tomorrow and the day after are even more challenging because of either numerous mountain climbs and descents or even further distance - 24 mi.

I'm just not into that. So now that I'm at the b&b for the night, which in reality is just a room in an apartment in an apartment building, I will be figuring out what's next.

On the Road / Notable memories

Got 1/2 mi underway when I realized I left my charger and phone cable back in the hotel. At least I remembered before I was 3 miles away.

***

After figuring out how I wanted this trip to proceed, I headed out into this very quiet residential neighborhood. 
I found an Italian restaurant. Inside it belied my initial impressions. The place was packed and happening. So I stayed to have a beer. 
Then I found a quiet and peaceful coffee shop in the neighborhood. I got a decaf and a cheesecake. 





Came across this little tiny shed, offered up for hikers to take a rest. I had lunch here.


This guy was checking me out when I stepped out of the shed.


The forest was particularly beautiful this morning and afternoon.


Someone put Camino de Santiago inspirational markers in the second half of the forest.

Signpost -companion - leader
The selected material - shell limestone - should be a hint as a symbol of the Camino of Santiago.




Tonight's AirBnb.

Worker flats.


Now that's a password.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Back Home Wrap up

Slowly Returning to the Regular Life Date Dec 19th, 2022 Total This Camino: 114 miles Total 2022 Caminos: 438 miles Total All Caminos: 1734...