Tuesday, December 6, 2022

Day 03: All kinds of hiking today

Day 03: From Herrsching to Wessobrun

DateDec 5th, 2022
Route map
Route trace
Today's distance: 16 miles
Total This Camino: 50 miles
Total 2022 Caminos: 374 miles
Total All Caminos: 1670 miles
Lodging: Uschi's Herberge @ $20
Total Lodging: $ 210
Planes: $810 Rochester -> Munich -> Rochester
+ $75 checked bag
Total Planes: $ 885
Buses / Trains / Taxis:
Total Buses / Trains / Taxis: $ 15
Food: $ 32 Bfast @ Pegasus / Dinner @ Gasthof zur Post
Total Food: $ 95

Meaningful Moment

Stopping in at Uschi's albergue. 

Yes, this is an albergue. When I walked up to the front of the house, there was a Camino scallop shell on the gate. Right away, I felt good .
While getting settled in, Uschi and I talked for quite a while, mostly in German. That made me feel good that I had developed that ability. Of course I realize, I'm not conversational but it's good to be self-sufficient. 
And I am enthralled that I am in an albergue, not a hostel or a hotel.

Now if only it wasn't raining outside.

Random Thought of the Day

Starting out this morning around 9:00 a.m. Thought I'd take a little bit of a later start. The weather for the day is kind of hellish. So I'll just have to grin and bear it.

Started out the day in Bavaria version of the Finger Lakes. Ended the day in the foothills of the Bavarian Alps.

For whatever reason that I finally had my first German meal only on day four here in Germany, I had a fantastic dinner which should keep me powered up for tomorrow. No junk food tonight.

Before leaving Rochester, I headed down to REI, knowing that it was winter, and that I might be walking in the dark. Came in very handy tonight, as the albergue that I'm staying at, is essentially on a country road with no lighting. The reflective tapes made it real easy for the drivers to see me lol.

I am having some lower body issues that I need to keep an eye on. 
Right foot has some consistent low-grade pain on the outside of the step.
Left shin fascia have a low grade ache. 
Upper quads are feeling tight and kind of aching.

By the end of the day, it had not rained or snowed contrary to the weather reports. However after I was resting in bed, it did start to rain. At that point I didn't care. It was only for a little while anyway.

On the Road / Notable memories

All day long the weather forecast was rain and snow, but thankfully it held off until I made it to the Pilgrim hostel. 

After yesterday's tough hike, I started today with about a 5 mi hike along the Ammer Lake beachfront. It was serene.

Then I had to take highways for about 5 mi. Half the time I had a sidewalk, the other half of the time I had about 6 in of paved gravel next to the asphalt lane. This was not a serene experience lol. 

The last third of the hike was beautiful. It was a alternating mix of forest and farmland in the rolling hills of Bavaria. I came across two very pretty chapels in the various forests.

While walking through the farmland, I came across cows and sheep, apparently blissfully enjoying the pasture.
Today there was almost nobody on the last 3rd of the hike. Every once in awhile I might come across a runner or someone out with their dog, but it was the longest in which it was just me and nature.

It provided a real nice stretch in which to remember what it is I like about hiking.





Lake Ammer on the way out of Herrsching.


I'm unsure of what mountains these are, but as I was walking south along Lake Ammee, the clouds and fogs broke enough for me to see them in the distance.


Out of the more urbanized kinds of parks and finally in a rustic forest setting.


Stopped for a protein bar and some much needed rest.


Grilled pork loin with three different sauces and homemade spaetzle


A quiet place for a rest stop


Grilled pork loin with three sauces and homemade spaetzel


Uschi's albergue












No comments:

Post a Comment

Back Home Wrap up

Slowly Returning to the Regular Life Date Dec 19th, 2022 Total This Camino: 114 miles Total 2022 Caminos: 438 miles Total All Caminos: 1734...