Friday, December 9, 2022

Day 05: Staying with my Hosts

Day 05: Schongau to Bernbeuren

DateDec 7th, 2022
Route map
Route trace
Today's distance:10 miles
Total This Camino:80 miles
Total 2022 Caminos:404 miles
Total All Caminos:1700 miles
Lodging:Pfaffenwinckel Herberge @ $25
Total Lodging:$ 325
Planes:$810 Rochester -> Munich -> Rochester
+ $75 checked bag
Total Planes:$ 885
Buses / Trains / Taxis:
Total Buses / Trains / Taxis:$15
Food:$15
Total Food:$ 135

Meaningful Moment

Pfaffenwinkel Herberge. 

Walter and Ilsa have been amazing kind hosts. They made me feel at home with a home cooked meal and nice dinner conversation. This has been a great stay.

Walter had to step out for a bit. Ilsa and I conversed about our caminos and shared life stories.

They had in fact closed up the albergue for the season, but opened it up for me regardless.

When I started this journey across Bavaria, I never imagined that I would be invited into a family.

Random Thought of the Day


I had a nice lunch in the town of Burggen, sitting on a bench in the town center and taking in the atmosphere. I barely noticed how cold it was to be having lunch in 38° f.

Yesterday I made a reservation at the albergue in Bernbeuren for tonight.
Today on the way out of Burggen and as I was walking along the road, a driver hit his horn and immediately pulled over by me.
He rolled down the window and yelled out my name. It was Walter, the owner of the albergue that I'm staying at tonight. I guess he figured that it could only be me hiking along the road in December.
I asked Walter if it was that obvious that I was the one, and he laughed and said so quite clearly.

On the Road / Notable memories

Knowing that I had scheduled a rest day of 9 miles, I slept in a little later, and I ate breakfast slower and when I got on the road, I eased my pace.

I even took time out to stop at a McDonald's for an orange juice.

The weather today was chilly and damp, but my clothes held up so I brought along the right gear.

The day involved walking asking lots of farmland and forests. 
All the greenery was very tranquil to walk through.




Hotel Blaue Traube


Altstadt, Schongau


Typical of the farmland


One of many forests today


Two signs for Burggen, pointing in the same direction, and they have different distances.








Burggen


Bernbeuren


St Ignatius church, Bernbeuren


Pfaffenwinkel Herberge. Named after this area of Bavaria.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Back Home Wrap up

Slowly Returning to the Regular Life Date Dec 19th, 2022 Total This Camino: 114 miles Total 2022 Caminos: 438 miles Total All Caminos: 1734...